It’s hard to say exactly what the rules are for dating someone older or younger than you, because every relationship is different. However, there are some things that you should take into consideration if you’re thinking of dating someone in a different age group:
· Are they in the same stage of life? A few years of age difference really shouldn’t matter much if you’re in the same stage in your lives. If you’re both students for example but one of you is an undergrad and one is a PhD student, then you’re both in the same phase in your life and share the similarities of that stage, regardless of their being an age difference. Problems tend to arise when you’re in two totally different stages, like if one of you is young and partying all the time and the other is working, divorced and already has children.
· Are you missing out on your own age group? Are you missing out on experiences, activities and doing things because you’re with someone a lot older or younger? If being in a relationship with this person means that you aren’t doing the things that someone your age would normally be doing, you might want to reconsider. You don’t want to look back at your life and feel that you missed out.
· Are you trying to escape something? Maybe you’re dating someone younger because you’re trying to escape the responsibility that comes with getting older. Or you’re trying to grow up too fast so you’re dating someone a lot older. Look at why you want to be in a relationship with this person and make sure it’s for the right reasons.
· Why do they want to be with you? Make sure that they are also in the relationship for the right reasons, and not because they’re trying to feel younger or trying to escape something themselves.
Flirting is pretty simple and fun, but there are a few dos and don’ts that will make your game a lot smoother:
· Be interesting. Watch the news, read up on current events and be a generally well-rounded person if you want to be interesting and have lots of things to talk about. Other people will always be impressed if you seem like you are an interesting person and they’ll want to get to know you better.
· Ask questions. Show your interest in someone by asking him or her questions about themselves. If you’re shy or have a hard time making conversation, this is a really easy way to get the other person talking. People love talking about themselves and you’ll show that you’re interested in what they have to say.
· Laugh. Smile, laugh and generally act like a positive person. It’s infectious to be around someone who seems to be having a good time.
· Be light. When you’re trying to flirt, keep conversations light and fun and don’t get into really heavy topics like war or death.